Between the RHCSAv6 and the RHCSAv7 exams, there are only limited changes:
- Securely transfer files between systems is a new objective that might require calling the scp command.
- Configure key-based authentication for SSH completes the previous objective and requires an understanding of SSH configuration (this objective was previously part of the RHCE exam objectives).
- Configure a system to use an existing authentication service for user and group information appears when Configure a system to use an existing LDAP directory service for user and group information disappears; this new objective might require mastering both sssd daemon and LDAP configuration.
- Create, mount, unmount, and use vfat, ext4 and xfs file systems only adds the xfs file system to the previous RHCSA exam objective.
- There is no longer mention of setting up a default configuration HTTP/FTP server.
- VNC doesn’t show up any more.
- Firewall settings can now be configured through firewall-config, firewall-cmd but the iptables way is still fine.
- Finally, perhaps the biggest change, all LUKS-related tasks have been removed: no game with encrypted partitions any more!
Even though the RHCSA exam objectives almost stay the same and the exam keeps the same duration (2.5 hours), it is clear that you will need a good understanding of the RHEL 7 basic features (Systemd, Grub2, etc) to pass it.
UPDATE: In June 2017, two objectives were removed from the curriculum:
Leave a comment